Birthdays: you know it’s not just the day you were born but a day to celebrate and benefit from, right? Day of Birth = Birthday = Celebration = Free Stuff
Did you know?
… many companies and stores offer items for free or discounts on your birthday or around it? Free meals, free coffee, free dessert, free swag, free singing performance. i.e. birthday song – as long as you mention to your server that you or people in your party are celebrating a birthday, they bring out a nice piece of cake or ice cream at the end of your meal for free to the celebratory guest.
These places require you to sign up for their e-newsletters/free membership to get something for your birthday (NOTE: this is a very short list, see end of post for links to find other places):
- Baskin Robbins 🡪 coupons for BOGO free cone and $3 off of any cake (valid up to 14 days after your birthday)
- Boston Pizza : Free dessert (coupon required)
- GameTime (Mississauga/Brantford) : Free dessert
- Giant Tiger : Free gift: must print e-mail to redeem in store for Great Value 12 pk Coffee pods or Great Value Chocolate Covered Almonds or Raisins 275-360g or Valley Baker Pie 750g (valid up to 30 days after your birthday)
- Harvey’s : Free burger (coupon required)
- Indigo : Plum Rewards, get bonus points on your birthday
- Marble Slab Creamery : coupons for BOGO free cone (expires 14 days after your birthday) print the e-mail or show from your mobile device to claim
- Sephora : Must sign up to become member of Sephora Insiders Rewards to get birthday month gift. You can visit the store any time during your birthday month to get your gift. There are usually 2 different sets to choose from.
- South Street Burger : Free 4oz burger (valid 7 days from your birthday – digital coupon)
- Starbucks : Free food or beverage item **ON YOUR BIRTHDAY ONLY** automatically activates in the app, you need to at least have a gift card registered with your birth date on it.
Some restaurants will give you a free dessert just for telling them you are celebrating a birthday.
Here is a short list of some locations in the GTA that I have actually gone to and had them bring a dessert – no ID was ever requested for these:
- East Side Mario’s : Free birthday sundae (I think it’s for kids only) and the servers sing a birthday song
- Milestones : Free birthday dessert (of your choice from their dessert menu) for the birthday person(s)
- Montana’s : Free dessert for the birthday person. They get to wear a moose hat and the servers come by and sing their version of birthday wishes (no coupon required)
- Union Social Eatery (Yonge/Sheppard) : Free chocolate brownie with ice cream and a candle on top for the birthday person (no coupon required)
There are other places offering free meals on your birthday… but you need to show your ID to prove it:
- What a Bagel : Buy 6 bagels, get 6 bagels free – ID required, valid on your birthday only
- Denny’s : Free build your own Grand Slam worth $11.99, ID required for adults (no ID required for kids celebrating – valid on the kids Grand Slam only)
- Dragon Pearl Buffet : Free birthday meal with 4 paying adults. Valid Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, cash only, valid during birthday month, ID required
- Mandarin Buffet : Free all-you-can-eat feast with 3 or more paying adults, must sign up for e-newsletter, print e-mail with coupon and show ID (coupon valid 1 week before and 1 week after your actual birthday)
- Wok of Fame Buffet (Brampton) : Free birthday meal, must go with at least 1 paying adult, ID required (no coupon required)
Now that you are aware of these deals, you can prepare yourself for your next birthday. The e-mails reminding you of the upcoming day start a couple weeks before the day you turn a whole year older so you don’t really need to make a list. Even though you are aging, you are also aging smarter. Don’t worry if you cannot use or will not have time to benefit from all of the free stuff you can get, just go for the stuff you like.
Have a happy birthday and go out and enjoy your day. You deserve it!
Here are some other links that may provide you with other places to get free food or stuff on your birthday or you can simply do a search online.
Guest post by Katharine Wong